As exciting as traveling can be, it also comes with some stressful aspects. Hurling luggage to and fro can be a breeze, or it can cause strain on your travelling experience. The first thing you need to do is consider your travelling style and cater specifically to those needs when choosing the right travel luggage for your vacation. With that in mind, we have compiled a list of some important things to consider beforehand.
Suitcase or Backpack?
We mainly focus on suitcases rather than backpacks in this article for the following reasons:
Maneuvering through airports with a lot of people and traffic, while carrying a large weight on your back is not easy. Suitcases are a lot simpler to maneuver through traffic with ease.
Simply roll your luggage with ease. This is our top reason for picking a suitcase.
A backpack does not give much organization leeway. You’ll only have access to a top-loading packing mechanism where you will be forced to remove everything to reach an item at the bottom. A suitcase gives you a clear view of all your belonging as soon as you unzip or open it.
Carrying a backpack doesn’t really look good.
Hard or Soft?
You should choose your travel luggage based on your travelling needs. For example; are you travelling for business, or for fun? Are you planning to carry any expensive items that might break easily? A hard carry-on is perfect for anyone carrying items such as an expensive camera, or if your vacation is going to be in areas with harsh weather conditions. Hard casing will offer protection to any item prone to breakage.
Soft luggage is perfect for anyone looking for added storage. These bags can expand making them ideal for anyone wanting to carry some souvenirs back with them. Also, soft carry-on cases are easy to stuff into an overhead compartment.
One main thing to keep in mind is to never purchase a carry-on that’s larger than you can actually lift over your head. Next, how long is your vacation going to last for? Many people are able to survive with fewer items than others but when visiting a foreign place, a smaller carry-on is more ideal. Before purchasing a carry-on, inquire about that specific airline’s international and domestic size requirements.
Some airplanes allow smaller carry-on’s so it’s best to always restrict yourself to buying a suitcase that’s approximately 21 x 13 x 9 and aim for a weight of 15 – 20 pounds.
Here’s a breakdown of some popular carry-on sizes:
- International carry-on size is mostly 18 – 20 inches
- The most popular size of a carry-on is 21 – 22 inches – This is a great size, offering ample space, yet light enough to lift. You can travel for a month without much hassle.
- If you’re travelling with a loved one, then a medium size would be perfect. So, consider purchasing a 23 – 24 inch carry-on.
- For those who love having extra space, then 25 – 27 inches will provide you with lots of room to carry your souvenirs or your clothing items. Also, if you are vacationing with your family, then you can easily fit everyone’s belongings into just one of these suitcases for easy handling.
- A 28 – 32 inch size is simply too large for a travel suitcase. It’s very bulky and can be very hard to maneuver. This size is simply best suited for anyone planning to move abroad or anyone thinking of going to live in another country for long durations of time.
Sometimes it might be better to purchase two smaller suitcases as opposed to buying a large, heavy one. Granted, you’ll have to pay extra but it’ll be worth it because you won’t have to worry about stuffing everything into one bag or, incurring overweight fees when travelling back home with some souvenirs.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/9973180