ENG518 Assignment 1 Spring 2021 – Assignments – Solution VU
Research Methodology (Eng518)
Assignment No. 1
Total Marks: 20
- Upload your assignments in a proper format, i.e. MS word file. Corrupt files will be awarded zero marks.
- The assignments should be zoomed in at 100%.
- Please avoid plagiarism; plagiarized work will be marked zero.
- After the due date, the assignments submitted via email would not be entertained.
- Please avoid submitting copied assignments; otherwise, such a case would be referred to the discipline committee.
- The font color should be preferably black and font size 12 Times New Roman
In semester –IV, you will be required to conduct a complete research (proposal leading to thesis) as a compulsory component of 6 credit hours. Assignments of Eng518- Research Methodology would be hands on practice of proposal writing for you. In this first assignment, you will write some aspects of the research proposal.
Thesis writing is a serious task; therefore, you are expected to attempt this activity with full focus/ concentration involving your very own original efforts as this work will be carried forward while writing your MA thesis.
You are required to select a research problem from your area of interest and write a research proposal on that topic. Study the sample research proposal (given below) carefully and attempt the following aspects of the proposal. Instructions on writing them have been mentioned below. You are advised to study your course lectures to attempt this activity.
- The title
- Rationale of the study
- Objectives of the Study
- The research Question/ Hypothesis
- Statement of the Problem
- Significance of the study
- The Title (Note: Some sample research topics are also provided below for your facilitation)
(Yours title should give a clear indication of your proposed research approach or key question).
You should include:
The background and issues of your proposed research
A short introduction of the topic
A summary of key debates and developments of the topic
The research purpose is a statement of “why” the study is being conducted, or the goal of the study. The goal of a study might be to identify or describe a concept or to explain or predict a situation.
Objectives always are set to explain or answer the research question. Objectives are usually headed by infinitive verbs such as:
- To identify…
- To establish…
- To describe…
- To determine…
- To estimate…
- To develop…
- To compare…
- To analyze…
- To collect…
The objectives could be as follow:
- To compare the unemployment rate among all European countries.
- To analyze the unemployment rate evolution from 2002 to 2012.
- To identify the factors associated with high unemployment rates.
- The research Question/ Hypothesis
You should formulate research questions very clearly, by clearly mentioning that what actually needs to be explored and why they are worth exploring. Research questions need to be:
- Connected with already established theory and research
- Linked with each other
- Capable of making contribution to research
State the problem in two to three sentences. It should clearly establish the aims of the research and the relationship sought between the variables/concepts of the study.
- Significance of the Study
This section describes the importance or potential benefits of the research. It specifies how your study will improve, modify or broaden the knowledge pool in the field under exploration. Make a note that such improvements/modifications may have significant implications also.
When you are taking into account the importance of your study, pose yourself the following questions.
- What will be the outcomes of this research study?
- Will the results of this research contribute to the solution or development of anything related to it?
- What will be improved or changed as a result of the proposed research?
- How will results of the study be implemented and what innovations will come out?
Note: Your next assignment will be on Questionnaire development, research design and research methodology.
A sample research proposal has been given in the following: https://www.academia.edu/2192933/Research_Proposal_Investigating_the_Effectiveness_of_Pronunciation_Instruction_for_Intelligibility
Here are some sample topics for your guidance. You can take similar topics for your thesis but you are advised not to select exactly the same topics.
- A Study to Explore the Effectiveness of Teaching Soft Skills at Graduate Level in the Govt. Colleges of Islamabad
- Effectiveness of Technology Usage in Lesson Planning at Secondary School Level in Lahore
- A Study to Explore the Effect of Free Writing Activities to Improve Writing Skills of Students at Intermediate level in Private Sector Colleges of Sindh
- Role of Vocabulary Building Techniques Used at Primary Level in the Government Schools of Rawalpindi
- Role of Reinforcement and Punishment in Learning English at Elementary Level in the Government Schools of Gujranawala
- Impact of School Infrastructure on Students’ Learning and Motivation at Secondary Level in in the Government Schools of Gojra
- Investigating the Self-efficacy of English Language Teachers at Primary School Level in Bahawalpur
- Challenges of Teaching English Language in a Bilingual Setting: An Investigation at Government Secondary School of Bahawalnagar
- Language Stress and Anxiety among the English Language Learners: A Case Study of Masters English Students in the Gift University at Gujranawala
- Role of Code- Switching in Teaching of English at Primary Schools in Muridke
Students kindly share assignment files in relevant subject timely for discussion/solution.
or directly share with us ” Click here“
QueryVU Telegram Groups subject wise Join Now
QueryVU WhatsApp groups subject wise Join Now
#ENG518 #Assignment #Spring #Assignments #Query